After more than six decades of following the... - Classic TV Moments | Facebook

(5) After more than six decades of following the... - Classic TV Moments | Facebook


Classic TV Moments's post

Classic TV Moments
3 days ago
 ·
After more than six decades of following the same group of people through their lives, 70 Up: The Final Chapter begins tonight.
The original 7 Up! aired back in 1964, and the cameras have returned every seven years since to see how the participants’ lives have changed through childhood, work, relationships, parenthood, loss and everything in between.
There is a real sense that this final chapter is going to be particularly emotional. We already know there will be some deeply personal reflections, and after viewers have effectively grown up alongside many of these people, seeing the story reach its conclusion is going to feel very different from an ordinary documentary.
The programme is made up of two 90-minute episodes, with the first airing tonight at 9pm on ITV1. It will also be available on ITVX.
For anyone who has followed the Up series over the years, this really does feel like television history coming full circle.
It’s expected to be a fascinating and emotional watch.
Who’s looking forward to seeing it tonight?
===



===
Angela Kehoe-Jones
 ·
How lovely to see them now, after all those years. So happy to see Neil, the little boy from Liverpool, still with us and smiling. He went through such a terrible time with mental health issues and homelessness. My heart used to go out to him. He seemed to be such a happy, positive little boy when the series began. Who would have known that all that adversity lay ahead for him! Thankfully, he's a survivor and still here to tell his tale 😊
Reply
Edited
Sue Tucker
 ·
This is more than it started out to be. It has documented that social economic grouping cannot be type cast nor anyone. It also shows how times have changed in expectation and the world itself. All those involved should get an award for Best Documentary involvement. A thank you from the millions that have watched and reflected.
Reply
Floyd Stewart
 ·
Sounds a bit extreme to some, maybe, but I honestly feel that every member that contributed to this should be awarded an MBE or OBE for their service. They deserve proper recognition and appreciation for how they’ve shared parts of their lives, good and bad, with everyone. It’s clearly been a very tough burden on them all.
Reply
Roz Field
 ·
Grown up watching this. Think I may need tissues to hand tonight πŸ™‚
Reply
Lucy Collins
 ·
There will never be a documentary like it again. It was made before social media and mobile phones. They grew up in my world 🌎 the program started the year I was born.
Reply
Suzanne Kearns
 ·
Me in New zealand, a year older but loved this, I feel i have also grown up with these kids but on the other side of the world, i have never missed an episode and id love a full copy from then and now to show my kids and my grandkids how it was! This will be the most accurate thing my kids and grandkids will ever see as how it was then, and what formed us, a personal insite to us their grandparents, please please let us who now are getting older be able to purchase the whole fabulous series, i know my kids will love it, but more than that its a piece of history thats alive xx
Reply
Melanie Jones
 ·
I grew up with this, 68 now. I used to use the programmes to teach sociology students about the enduring prevalence of social class structures.
Reply
Stephanie Wood
 ·
Watched this from the very first episode, will be like saying goodbye to old friends! It’s been a stand alone programme, unique and don’t think there will ever be another one like it. I thank everyone of the 14 people for their participation, which has been painful and intrusive for them at times, but they have seen it throughout to its conclusion, we lost two lovely participants Nick Hitchon and Lynn Johnson as sadly they both died later on in the series! Thank you and God bless! ❤️
Reply
Edited
Michelle Anderton
 ·
I’ve binged watched all episodes to date on itv x, I think this series will be very emotional. It’s been so interesting watching them all change & grow over the years and the course of their lives. It’s kind of tinged with melancholy too.
Reply
Angela Ruddock
 ·
Watched this from the very begining, it will be so sad seeing those we seen as old friends for the last time! I felt like i knew Jackie sue and Lynn just like school chums ,It’s been a programme that i found a real must to catch up on even though in the 70s 80s and 90s we were away from the country in the forces ,catching up this was a programme so different and i don’t think there will ever be another one like it. I thank everyone of the group who took participation, this has been at times quite painful a look into a very wonderful group , they all have been throughout people i felt were just so familiar, we lost two lovely participants Nick Hitchon ✨️πŸ’›✨️and Lynn Johnson✨️πŸ’›✨️πŸ’ ,i find on watching breakfast TV they both died! ,Thank you to All ,i will be glued to the telly tonight ready and waiting tissue box at hand ,i will at the same time raise a glass to the whole gang ,sadly, i truly think the latter years should be those we should all care to see as pensioners are equally important ,pensioners are the forgotten group just as important as the 7 year olds ,but i am truly grateful they gifted us this amazing series Thank you All
✨️πŸ’›✨️πŸ’πŸ₯‚πŸΎ
Reply
Edited
Dave King
 ·
I was born in 1957 and watched the first one aged 7 with my parents. I’ve grown up with these kids. Still remember my mum being upset at Neil.
Reply
Alisdair Steer
 ·
I'm 67 and have seen every episode from the start - but most wonderfully, WITH MY MUM who is now 93. We are in Australia and mum has told me she can't die until she sees this last episode 😁 We are so looking forward to it! We have cried with, laughed, rejoiced and cared for the participants just like so many others...
Reply
James Moore
 ·
 ·

Rising fan
Surely the best documentary series ever made. Of course by today’s standards we might question the questions but those were the days. I’ve just binge-watched the whole series to date, it’s fantastic television. RIP Nick (the genius of the series) and “what HAVE I done”Lynn. Interesting to see that the posh kids became less “plum in the mouth” over time whilst the less posh kids became more articulate. Well done all of them and the TV team behind the series. You all deserve medals.
Reply
William Beaton
 ·
Where will life take you no one knows and this program captured that
It is not the destination but the journey that matters
Reply
Rob Casburn
 ·
It would have to be most important experiment in human development. We have ever seen . it may just give us the answers to the question the program has tried to answer for 6 decades “give me a child aged 7 and I will show you the man. “
It will be fascinating to see research and results into the lives of the participants from this series. Can’t wait see it in Australia. I applaud every participant who have had to endure this every seven years they are true heroes who’s lives will be remembered by many. They even have a memento for their children and families generations to come something very unique
Reply
John Brodrick
 ·
I met Neil when he lived in Shetland. He would have been 30 -35:yrs
Reply
Carole King
 ·
Looking forward to 70Up being shown in Australia.
Reply
Alex Cyrson
 ·
Best reality show ever made.
Reply
Tommy Parsonage
 ·
I was born in 1960 but I have watched every episode. The best social documentary ever made. All of the participants have shown us how life can make, break or change your path. Thank you for allowing us into your lives. Also thanks to the directors, producers and everyone else involved in making this wonderful project/experiment that will never happen again.
Thank you all for showing us how the real world works.
Reply
John Hall
 ·
If this incredible set of gripping documentaries tells us anything its not just about human nature. The first episode was so inventive because it mixed the working class with middle and upper class stereotypical children. The fact that they are still the centre of our attention after all those decades of change is a remarkable accolade to this brilliant initial idea. We shall really miss them all and their different life stories that have become part of our own dreams and lifetime aspirations . To those who remain and sadly to the participants we have lost along this lond journey its been a privilege for you all to have let us into your lives .
Reply
Sara Lattey
 ·
We’ve been catching up on the whole past series on ITVx - ready and waiting for tonight.
Reply
Diane Taylor
 ·
I just watched first one on ITVX. There's snippets of them at 70 but a lot of it was chatting about when they were younger. Maybe next week's episode will give a bit more detail
Reply
Rhoda Tranquila
 ·
I don’t know whether i should watch the other ones again first or whether there will be enough flashbacks that I remember who is who
Reply
Jane Landa
 ·
Watched the first few episodes as part of teacher training course 30+ years ago - was then something followed since - looking forward to last instalment
Reply
Stephanie Jacobsen Schuler
 ·
I’m in the US and use recently started watching. (I am in the middle of 35.)I’m exactly their age. Despite growing up in the US, which is different, I find all their experiences relatable. Although young people are growing up in a much different, faster world, I find so many things participants have said to still be true today. I wish young people would watch it, they would realize how much alike we all are. Life is both beautiful and hard, and no amount of money or status can change that. Seeing how each participant navigates life is rather uplifting.
Reply
Edited
SteveandDiane Slater
 ·
I hope it wins an award, it's a very special programme, I was 14 in 1964 and have watched every seven up since, some very sad moments but also happy one's as well, and I think it shows how family is important to everyone.
Reply
SiΓ’n Clifford
 ·
Good to see Neil there, was worried about him. Such a gorgeous 7 year old.
Reply
Chrissy Winter
 ·
I am also now 70, so followed this with particular interest, although I watched the very early ones retrospectively (not sure that we yet had a TV when I was 7!?)
Neil was the one who struck me as being most like my own peers and I can still picture him now, blithely skipping along.
That made his later problems so particularly poignant to me.
Reply
Shane Waterman
 ·
Glad Suzy has rejoined for the finale and that one of the public school boys (Charles?) who had a big falling out with Michael Apted after 21-Up and refused to take part anymore, is too.
Reply
Edited
John Moore
 ·
Watched it from the start.I remember watching it on the school television on stilts. I’m just two years younger than them . Brilliant documentary.
Reply
Victor Svekolkin
 ·
I've "grown up" watching this. Incredible social archive covering the classes of people over decades and how things have changed or not as the case may be. Deserves awards all day long.
Reply

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Roy Cohn and Donald Trump - Relationship Between Pair, Explained

ν˜•μ œλ“€μ˜ λ•…μ—μ„œ 🎬 In the Land of Brothers

Not Without My Daughter (film) - Wikipedia